Have you already decided where to travel in 2016? Let us help! As a wanderluster I’m sure your destination list is already very long. But even so, we are going to give you some ideas as the top 10 best places to travel in 2016, based on our own criteria and experience:
1. Japan: Always a trendy destination thanks to a so different culture and traditions compared with the west. With amazing and lively cities like Tokyo or Kyoto, taking the bullet train and moving around the island is the most common idea. But we are going to propose another one: Do the Nakasendo Trail for a nice walk while enjoying a culinary experience or do the Kumano Kodo Pilgrimage Trail to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the rural Japan.
2. Malawi: Probably one of the less visited countries in Africa and that alone is already a good reason to visit it. You can enjoy the wildlife doing a safari in the South Luangwa National Park, where is not difficult to be alone, unlike in places such as Kenya or Tanzania. And we also recommended the Mount Mulanje Trek reaching up to 3,000m, ideal place to enjoy a nice view of the Malawi landscape.
3. Vanuatu: Unknown for most of the people, this group of islands in the South Pacific Ocean is one of the best destinations if you really want to get yourself lost. Wild nature and really good treks, including the Marum Volcano trek with an active lava caldera. Or just enjoy a virgin paradise beach on the coast.
4. Rwanda: Chasing gorillas in the jungle is one of the best travel experiences we have lived so far… so we must highly recommended to go to Rwanda and do it in the Volcanoes National Park. Is quite pricey, about 500$ for half an hour with the gorillas, but totally worth it. You must be aware of the current political situation, but lately is quite safe to travel there so take the chance!
5. Brazil: Could be a good idea taking advantage of the visa free period during the Olympics this summer. Visit the beautiful Rio de Janeiro and its beaches, the most African Brazil in Salvador de Bahia or enjoy nature around the Amazon river. Our recommendation is to visit the impressive Lençóis Maranhenses National Park, a dune sea worth seeing once in your life.
6. Sweden: We recommended to travel to Sweden in winter! Not so common like going hiking during summer but it’s in winter when you have the best change to see the amazing northern lights and even not very far from the capital city, Stockholm. Prepare you camera with a good tripod and make those amazing shots at night 😉
7. Bulgaria: Staying in Europe, one of those destinations not trendy yet, so it’s the perfect time to visit it. If you like going hiking, they have the beautiful Pirin National Park and the Rhodope Mountains to explore. In addition, the interesting capital city Sofia with a surprisingly beautiful architecture like the one of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
8. Mexico: Trying to avoid the busy beach destinations like Cancun or Acapulco, going to Los Cabos, enjoying the food in Oaxaca or visiting the pyramids of Chichén Itzá are a good choice. But what we propose diving in one of their many cenotes, natural sinkholes created where a cave ceiling has collapsed.
9. Antarctica: The frozen and unexplored continent, for some experienced travellers is just the best travel destination thanks to the feeling of being in the end of the world and the amazing icy landscape. It’s still a luxurious trip while you need to pay unless 4,000$ for a decent tour with basic activities like walking outside the boat, canoeing among glaciers or getting close to the Emperor penguins.
10. Albania: Another not very trendy destination in Europe and one of the hidden gems of the Balkans. Enjoying the cultural heritage of Butrint, Apollonia, Rozafa or taking a beach holiday around Ksamil with surprising turquoise color waters.
Hope you enjoyed our best places to travel in 2016 and we are looking forward to read your own travel ideas for this year on the comments!